Ready to jump to an eSIM for a trip? We go in-depth in comparing Holafly vs Airalo in this guide to help you make a better purchase! Holafly eSIM is best with its unlimited plans while Airalo is better for when you don’t need a high data usage, starting at 1GB.
In our in-depth guide, comparing Holafly or Airalo means you’ll look at your pricing preferences and data needs. We have both used Airalo and Holafly in several of our travels with our eSIM compatible iPhone so we have an extensive experience dealing with their signals and apps in our travels.
Read here Melbourne Airport sim card
This article provides an in-depth comparison between two leading eSIM providers: Airalo and Holafly. Whether you’re a globetrotter, a business traveler, or a digital nomad, understanding the nuances of these services is key to choosing the right eSIM for your journey.
Related eSIM Guides:
- Holafly Discount Codes for 2024
- Airalo Discount Codes for 2024
- Holafly Alternatives
- Compatible eSIM devices
- Heymondo Travel Insurance – Our Recommended Travel Insurance
Comparing Holafly and Airalo eSIM
While both Holafly and Airalo offer comprehensive data plans to cover your data needs when traveling, they cater to different traveler needs and preferences. In this comparison, we will outline the key differences between the two data providers to help you determine which is the better choice for your eSIM needs.
Holafly is renowned for its unlimited data plans and ease of use. With coverage in over 160 destinations around the world, Holafly offers regional plans and recently introduced calling options in Europe, enhancing its appeal to travelers in those regions.
On the other hand, Airalo is known for its extensive global coverage and stands out as a versatile eSIM provider serving 190+ countries. It offers a wide array of plans, including single-country, regional, and global options, catering to various travel needs and flexible data packages.
- Unlimited Data Plans: Many of Holafly’s plans offer unlimited data, which is ideal for heavy data users.
- Regional Plans: Covers multiple countries with a single eSIM, convenient for travelers visiting several countries in one region.
- Ease of Setup: Activation via a QR code scan makes the setup process straightforward.
- New Calling Feature in Europe: The introduction of a calling option with an Austrian number for Europe plans adds significant value with 60 minutes of calling for countries that are included in the feature. Calls coverage: enjoy incoming and outgoing calls from all European countries in your eSIM plan, excluding Iceland, Norway, UK, Switzerland, Ukraine, and Turkey.
- Up to 6 months of Refund Policy: As long as your situation falls under their accepted refunds policy, Holafly now offers a generous time of up to 6 months from the date of purchase for you to get a refund on your eSIM plan in case something didn’t work (eSIM purchased but received no signal, incompatible phone, etc). The refund policy of Holafly is discussed in detail in the refunds section of this comparison of Holafly vs Airalo
- Higher Price Point: Holafly’s plans can be more expensive compared to competitors like Airalo.
- Limited Plan Options: In some destinations, Holafly offers only one or two plan options, which may not suit all travel needs.
- Hotspot Limitations: Hotspot/tethering is not allowed on unlimited data plans, which could be a downside for those needing to share their connection.
- Extensive Coverage: Airalo’s coverage spans 190+ countries, ensuring connectivity in most global destinations.
- Plan Variety: Offers up to 15 different plan options per country, allowing travelers to choose plans that align with their specific itineraries.
- Competitive Pricing: Especially favorable in regions like Asia and North America, Airalo is a budget-friendly option for many travelers.
- User-Friendly App: The Airalo app simplifies managing eSIM services, enabling easy monitoring of data usage and plan management
- Loyalty Program: Unique in the market, Airalo’s Loyalty Rewards program offers credits for future purchases, adding value for frequent users.
- Variable Network Quality: While coverage is extensive, the network quality can vary, with some areas offering only 3G speeds.
- Installation Process: The setup process can be complex, particularly with APN configuration, which might be challenging for some users.
- Customer Support: The responsiveness of Airalo’s customer support has room for improvement, with potential delays in assistance.
The Best Thing About AIRALO
If you’re looking for the most bang for your buck. The best thing about Airalo eSIM is definitely more affordable. If you’re just looking to connect to the internet from time to time, and will not need heavy usage, Airalo might be a good choice for you.
If you will need to reload with a new data plan, Airalo network actually offers you the ability to connect with free internet using their app, without data, long enough for you to get a new data plan. This is of course covered by their data coverage, so make sure you’re in a country they cover for that.
The Worst Thing About Airalo
My least favorite thing about AIralo is downloading the app if I compare to Holafly since I will buy the eSIM in advance to speed up the process I like the fastest way possible.
The Best Thing About Holafly
The best thing about Holafly eSIM is their offer of unlimited data. If you’re someone who will need a lot of internet access and data plan during your travels, and are happy to spend for that, for example you’re in a business trip or doing it for work, then Holafly eSIM can be a good option for you.
The Worst Thing About Holafly
My least favorite thing about Holafly is prices can be expensive. It’s not fair the same price for unlimited data in the United States than Asia. But they are improving data packages in Asia and hopefully are more affordable soon. They started adding Holafly unlimited data packages in Asia in popular destinations like Hong Kong, Thailand and Singapore.
Comparing Destinations Around the World – Holafly vs Airalo
If you’re traveling to a particular country or destination, we also compared the signal and data plan prices between Holafly or Airalo and you will see them below:
- New Zealand
- South Korea
- Hong Kong
- South Africa
- United States
- North America
Summary – Holafly vs Airalo
Differences between Holafly and Airalo
|English, Spanish, German, French
|Credit card, Paypal, EU Bank
|Credit card, Paypal, UnionPay
|24/7 customer support
|Include a local phone number for voice calls or messages
|Share data with other devices
|USD ($), EUR (€)
- Airalo offers extensive coverage in 199 countries, ideal for global travelers, though network speeds can vary.
- Holafly provides coverage in over 160 destinations, with a focus on unlimited data plans, particularly useful in Europe and Asia.
Data Plans and Pricing
- Airalo is known for competitive pricing with a variety of plan options, including regional and global plans.
- Holafly offers primarily unlimited data plans which are straightforward but tend to be more expensive.
Ease of Use
- Airalo requires app installation for managing eSIM services, offering a user-friendly experience post-setup.
- Holafly excels in ease of setup with QR code activation and dual SIM functionality.
- Airalo offers support through email and app but may have slower response times.
- Holafly provides 24/7 customer support in multiple languages, accessible via various channels.
- Airalo includes a loyalty program and the option for calls/SMS in its Global Plan.
- Holafly recently added a calling option in Europe, providing 60 minutes of voice calls.
While Holafly is renowned for its straightforward and user-friendly data plans, particularly its unlimited data options in certain regions, there are notable aspects to consider.
Firstly, Holafly’s pricing can be higher compared to other providers, especially for its unlimited data plans. This might be a concern for budget-conscious travelers.
Additionally, Holafly does not offer a wide range of data caps or speed variations, which could limit options for users with specific data speed requirements or those needing smaller data packages.
Lastly, unlike Airalo, which provides extensive global coverage including regional and country-specific plans, Holafly’s coverage is more limited, potentially impacting travelers visiting multiple or less common destinations.
Coverage – Holafly vs Airalo
Now that we know what eSIMs are, and which devices support the eSIM capability, let’s go to the biggest reason one company should be chosen over another. The eSIM data coverage.
The Holafly eSIM offers maximum speed coverage (4GLTE), so you can enjoy a fast internet connection. The speed may be slower in some more remote areas.
Holafly eSIM can give you coverage for up to 120 countries worldwide. See below for countries currently serviced by the Holafly eSIM:
Argentina, Andorra, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Spain, United Arab Emirates, United States, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Laos, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macau, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Vietnam, and more.
The countries mentioned above are independent. However, Holafly also has a Multi-country eSIM that includes other destinations in Latin America, NorthAmerica, Europe, and Asia.
Holafly for sure is in all bucket list destinations covering more than 100 countries you will be covered with your eSim since you land in the country.
Airalo eSIM has coverage in over 190+ countries, and regions. Check the countries covered below:
Afghanistan, Algeria, American Samoa, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Austria. Also, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Benin, Belarus, Belgium, Bermuda. Bolivia, Bonaire, St. Eustatius, and Saba. As well as Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Bulgaria, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, China, Christmas Island, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, and Curaçao.
Airlalo also offers eSIM coverage in the countries of Germany, Denmark, Dominica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, The Faroe Islands, Finland, France, and French Guiana. As well as Georgia, Greece, Greenland, Grenada, Guadeloupe, and Guam. They are also covered in Guatemala, Guernsey, and Guyana. Of course, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Isle of Man, Israel, and Italy. As well as Jamaica, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kiribati. Kuwait, Latvia, Liechtenstein, and more.
If you go off the beaten path Airalo is everywhere and you will be able to get 1 GB data for 7 days for $5-10 USD any destination in the world.
These are best sellers in Airalo: United States eSIM, Canada eSIM and UK eSIM. Check those articles for specific blog posts about eSIM! And if you are traveling other destinations like Israel eSim, Brazil eSim, Singapore eSim and Australia eSim.
Europe Plans and Packages – Holafly vs Airalo
Holafly’s standout feature is its unlimited data plans, which are ideal for heavy internet users. While these plans offer great value in terms of data usage, they come at a higher price compared to Airalo. Additionally, the range of plan options in certain destinations is limited, which might not cater to all types of travel schedules or data needs.
Holafly eSIM Data Plan Pricing Europe
The data plans with Holafly eSim for Europe start at $19 USD for 5 days for unlimited data. If you choose 10 days $34 USD, for $47 USD 15 days and $64 USD for 30 days all of them with unlimited data.
For only $2 USD per day you can get unlimited data in Europe that’s why is our favorite European eSim because we love unlimited data plans. Read here Holafly eSim for Europe
Airalo eSIM Data Plan Pricing Europe
Airalo’s diverse range of data plans includes specific options for single countries, regions, and even global coverage. This flexibility allows travelers to tailor their data plans to their itinerary, whether it’s a brief visit to one country or a multi-destination trip. Pricing is competitive, especially in popular travel regions like Asia and North America. However, users should note that global plans typically offer slower 3G speeds, which might be a drawback for some.
You can see a sample of Airalo’s eSIM data plan prices for Europe eSim travel for 1 GB of data for 7 Days for $4.50, 3GB for 3 days for $11, 5GB for 30 days for $16 and 10GB for 30 days for $26. Airalo definitely offers very competitive prices when it comes to their eSIM plans.
Nomad’s eSIM data prices and Airalo data prices for Europe eSim travel will depend on the destination. But the data packages are pretty similar. You can get cheaper Airalo eSim for Europe USING DISCOUNT CODE GAMINTRAVELER 10%.
North America Data Plans and Pricing – Holafly vs Airalo
Holafly eSIM Data Plan Pricing North America
Holafly United States eSim and Holafly Mexico eSim for less than $65 USD if you use our code GAMINTRAVELER you will have unlimited internet for 30 days for just $2 USD per day. The best sellers Canada eSim, Mexico eSim and United States eSim
The data plans with Holafly eSim United States start at $19 USD for 5 days for unlimited data. If you choose 10 days unlimited data $34 USD, for $47 USD 15 days unlimited data and $64 USD unlimited data for 30 days all of them with unlimited data.
You can order online your Canada eSim prepaid sim card for $44 USD with 20 GB data buying online your eSim with Holafly (even cheaper if you use our discount code GAMINTRAVELER. You can get your Canadian eSim data plan for $34 USD with 10 GB data.
Airalo eSIM Data Plan Pricing North America
You can see a sample of the Airalo’s eSIM data plan prices for the United States in the image below. You can get 1GB of data for 7 Days for $4.50, 3GB for 3 days for $11, 5GB for 30 days for $16, and 10GB for 30 days for $26. Airalo definitely offers very competitive prices when it comes to their eSIM plans.
Plans with Airalo eSim Canada prepaid start at $25 USD with 5 GB data valid for 30 days. For $36 USD with 10 GB data valid for 30 days.
Ease of Use and Setup – Holafly vs Airalo
Once set up, Airalo’s eSIM provides a smooth and user-friendly experience. The Airalo app enhances this experience by offering easy management of the eSIM, including monitoring data usage and managing plans. However, the initial installation process can be a bit tricky, especially for those unfamiliar with APN settings.
Holafly shines in its ease of setup. The activation process is straightforward – simply scan a QR code and you’re connected. This hassle-free setup is particularly appealing to travelers who prefer quick and easy solutions. Additionally, the ability to use dual SIM functionality means that travelers can maintain their regular SIM card for calls while using Holafly for data.
Airalo provides customer support through email and its mobile app. While the app is intuitive and user-friendly, the responsiveness of customer support can be a drawback, particularly during urgent connectivity issues, as response times can be slow.
Holafly also offers customer support, accessible via Whatsapp, email, or live chat. While Holafly does not provide a local phone number for direct calls or SMS, the support through VOIP apps and the ability to keep the existing SIM card active for regular calls and messages adds versatility.
Refund Policies, Calling Features and More Additional Features
Airalo stands out with its Loyalty Rewards program, offering credits for future purchases, which is a unique feature in the eSIM market. Additionally, the inclusion of calls and SMS in the Global Plan adds significant value for travelers needing more than just data. The email notification feature, alerting users about data plan expiration, is a practical addition that enhances user experience.
Holafly – Holafly eSIM Europe with Phone Number and Holafly 6 month Refunds
Holafly offers eSIM phone number that allows calls
A recent and notable addition to Holafly’s services is the calling option for Europe eSIMs, providing 60 minutes of voice calls with an Austrian number. This feature significantly enhances its utility for travelers in Europe, providing an option for voice communication in addition to data.
Holafly Extended Refund
Let us break down the key aspects of Holafly’s refund policy for you:
- Purchased from Holafly’s official website.
- The eSIM must not have been activated (no data consumption). Exceptions may apply with customer support review.
- Requested within 6 months from the date of purchase.
Refunds for Locked/Incompatible Cellphones
- The eSIM QR code has not been scanned, meaning no data was used.
- Requested within 6 months from the purchase date.
- Proof of incompatibility or locked status (like a screenshot) is required.
Refunds for eSIM Connection Failures
- Before Requesting a Refund:
- Contact Holafly’s customer service at [email protected] or via chat on their official site.
- Report the issue as soon as possible; delays may affect refund eligibility.
- Requesting a Refund:
- Be prepared with relevant information and screenshots.
- The support team is available 24/7 to assist.
- Refund Amount:
- A full refund is possible (minus an administrative fee of $3.5 USD) or a partial refund, depending on data usage.
- Refund Amount: The refund is based on the amount paid at the transaction time, including any discounts. Additional costs unrelated to the product are not refundable.
- Customer Support: For any refund type, contacting customer support and providing the necessary information is a key part of the process.
Overall, the policy is designed to be flexible and accommodating, considering various issues like changes in travel plans, technical compatibility, and connectivity challenges. It aims to provide a sense of security and ease for travelers using Holafly’s eSIM services.
User Experience and Reviews
• Positive Aspects: Users often praise Airalo for its wide-reaching coverage and the flexibility of data plan options. The user-friendly app is another highlight, making it easy to manage data usage and stay connected on the go.
• Challenges: Some users have reported challenges with the initial setup, particularly regarding APN configuration. Additionally, the variation in network quality in different regions has been a point of concern for some travelers.
Holafly User Experience:
• Positive Aspects: Holafly is commended for its straightforward setup process and the convenience of unlimited data plans. The new feature of 60 minutes of voice calls in Europe has been well-received, adding valuable functionality.
• Challenges: The higher price point of Holafly’s plans is a common concern among users. Additionally, the restriction on hotspot usage on unlimited plans has been noted as a limitation for those needing to share their connection.
Customer Reviews and Testimonials
• Airalo Reviews: In general, reviews reflect satisfaction with Airalo’s coverage and plan variety. The loyalty program has also been a popular feature among frequent travelers.
• Holafly Reviews: Users appreciate the ease of use and the reliability of Holafly’s service. However, feedback suggests that the limited number of plan options in some destinations could be improved.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) – Airalo vs Holafly
- Can I use both Airalo and Holafly eSIMs on my phone?
• Yes, if your phone supports dual eSIM functionality or a combination of a physical SIM and an eSIM, you can use both services, though not simultaneously. You can switch between them based on your data needs and location.
- Are Airalo and Holafly eSIMs compatible with all smartphones?
• Not all smartphones support eSIM technology. Popular models like recent iPhones, Samsung Galaxy series, and Google Pixel phones are compatible. It’s important to check your device’s compatibility before purchasing an eSIM.
- Can I purchase and activate these eSIMs after arriving at my destination?
• Yes, both Airalo and Holafly eSIMs can be purchased and activated upon arrival at your destination. However, it’s advisable to arrange them beforehand to ensure immediate connectivity.
- Do Airalo and Holafly offer refunds if I face connectivity issues?
• The refund policies vary. It’s best to check with each provider’s customer service for their specific refund policy regarding connectivity issues.
- How do Airalo and Holafly eSIMs affect my existing mobile number and plan?
• Using an eSIM does not impact your existing mobile number and plan. You can maintain your original number for calls and messages if your phone supports dual SIM functionality.
Our Final Thoughts on Comparing Holafly vs Airalo
In summarizing Airalo vs Holafly, it’s clear that both eSIM providers offer distinct advantages catering to different travel needs:
Airalo is an excellent choice for travelers seeking flexibility and competitive pricing, with a range of plans that cater to various destinations. Its global reach and plan variety make it suitable for both short-term and extended travels.
Holafly shines with its unlimited data plans and straightforward setup, making it ideal for travelers who prioritize ease of use and consistent data access, especially in Europe and Asia.
• Destination Coverage: Airalo for broader global coverage, Holafly for focused regional unlimited data plans.
• Data Needs and Pricing: Airalo for budget-conscious travelers with variable data needs, Holafly for those who prefer the simplicity of unlimited data without the need to monitor usage.
• Ease of Use: Both offer user-friendly experiences, but Holafly stands out for its simple activation process.
Ultimately, the choice between Airalo and Holafly depends on your travel destination, data needs, and budget. Go for Airalo if you need smaller data while Holafly is the better option for ease of mind and unlimited data anywhere with phone calls for Europe.
Hope you found the information you need on the comparison of Airalo and Holafly for choosing the right eSIM plan for you. Which one would you choose Holafly vs Airalo? Let us know more about any of your experience in the comments below.
About the Author: Ruben, co-founder of Gamintraveler.com since 2014, is a seasoned traveler from Spain who has explored over 100 countries since 2009. Known for his extensive travel adventures across South America, Europe, the US, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, and Africa, Ruben combines his passion for adventurous yet sustainable living with his love for cycling, highlighted by his remarkable 5-month bicycle journey from Spain to Norway. He currently resides in Spain, where he continues to share his travel experiences alongside his partner, Rachel, and their son, Han.