WHERE TO STAY IN TAICHUNGFor accommodation, you can find accommodation prices starting from $20-30 USD depending on how much you want to stretch your budget. Until luxury hotels in Taichung that can cost $100-300 USD for a room if you wish more comfort when visiting Taichung. Click here to get the best deals via Booking and Agoda
BOOK YOUR TRAVEL INSURANCEYou can read Heymondo Vs Safetwing cheapest travel Insurance. You can get for $135 USD your Heymondo Travel Insurance with Heymondo discount code valid for 90 days. Read our full Heymondo Travel Insurance Review You can get Safetywing Travel Insurance for Digital Nomads valid for 28 days Safetywing for $50 USD per month with kids until 10 years old included
ATMS AND CASH IN TAIWANThere are few ATMs in the airport that they don’t charge commission. There are a couple of places to exchange money in the airport. Outside the airport it can be difficult to exchange money in Taiwan. You will be able to do it only in banks. The exchange rate $1 USD= 30 TWD. Click here to know more about the current exchange rate in Taiwan!
HOW TO GET TO TAICHUNG CITY
GETTING TO TAICHUNG BY PLANETaichung International Airport has daily flights from China, Japan, South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam. It’s the third largest airport in Taiwan after Kaohsiung and Taipei International Airport. It’s located 15 kilometers far from city center. There are two terminals: Terminal 1 for Domestic flights and Terminal 2 for International flights. There are buses and taxis going to city center from the airport. Read here how to get from Taoyuan airport to Taichung!
HOW TO GET TO TAICHUNG CITY FROM TAIPEI BY TRAINIf you want to get to Taichung City from Taipei by train. There are two options THSR and TRA the local trains. If you go with THSR the high-speed train it will take you 40 minutes to get to Taichung City from Taipei. The price is around 700 TWD in economy class. The THSR will be outside the city and to get to city center you will have to get a bus or a taxi. If you want to get by local train (TRA) to Taichung City from Taipei. It will take 2 hours depending on the train. It will cost you around 275-350 TWD. There are trains leaving very often between Taipei and Taichung. And we recommend you to book at least two weeks in advance since sometimes there aren’t available seats. Click here to book in advance your train ticket in Taiwan!
HOW TO GET TO TAICHUNG CITY FROM TAIPEIIf you want to get to Taichung City by bus from Taipei. It will take 2 hours and a half. The price is around 250 TWD. And the bus station is close to city center in Taichung. We went there by bus and they are so comfortable with wifi connection. There are buses leaving every 30 minutes or every hour from Taipei to Taichung City. Based in our experience no need to book in advance. Unless there are special dates like Chinese New Year or any other festivals around the area.
BUYING EASY CARDWe have to say that for us was the best way to travel around Kaohsiung since you just put load and you can use in MRT, buses and even going to places like Fo Guang Shang Memorial which is outside the center. You can also use it in Taipei. Plus you can use for buying in 7 Eleven and convenience stores in the country. So i’s pretty convenient. You can purchase in convenience stores in Kaohsiung. Also available in the airport you will pay 100 TWD which is $3 USD non-refundable. It’s comfortable and every time that you use your Easy Card you get 15% discounts in your MRT and bus trips. You can recharge in convenience stores or in MRT Stations. You can use that money to buy in convenience stores in Taiwan. It’s great since there are Family Mart 7 Eleven all over Kaohsiung and Taiwan. Click here to get unlimited MRT Pass!
Taichung Tourist Spots And Things to do in Taichung
1. Taichung Confucius TempleIt was built following the temple-style of the Song Dynasty between 1972 to 1976. It’s located in North District. It’s opened from 9 am to 5 pm and it’s closed on Mondays. Buses 41, 99, 67, 142 and 163 stopping at Shuangshi Junior High School.
2. Wufeng Lin Family HouseA beautiful gardens in the mansion. You can join on a tour where they will explain about the history of Taichung and Taiwan last two hundred years. There is an entrance fee 250 TWD.
3. Walk the Gaomei Wetlands in TaichungGaomei Wetlands is the best spot for sunset in Taichung. You can walk around the area and enjoy the amazing views. To get there there are affordable tours organized. If you prefer to go on your own you have to get the Bus 655. Click here to get a discount booking your tour with Klook!
4. Chun Shui Tang Bubble TeaThey invented the most popular drink in Taiwan: The Bubble Tea. It’s cool to visit to know more about this. Bubble teas taste great. Prices are little bit more expensive than usual.
5. Rainbow VillageIt is a village in Nantun District, Taichung City that is unique because of the colorful houses here, thus, the name. All of the paintings in this village are painted by Grandpa Rainbow, Mr. Huang Yung-Fu. Tourists come and visit this to take pictures because of its fun, vibrant vibes. Have you ever been in Rainbow Village?
6. The National Taiwan Museum of Fine ArtsThe National Taiwan Museum of Fine Arts is located in West District. There are amazing sculptures in the garden, there is a part of Calligraphy Greenway and also a Skywalk where you can have a great view of the green space and Taichung buildings. There is free entrance and it’s one of the Taichung tourist spots that you can’t miss it.
7. Taichung ParkWe visited during the day Taichung Park and it was so beautiful and quiet. You can rent a boat and going around. We just passed by took a few pictures and keep walking outside since it’s located in city center.
8. The Fengjia Night MarketSince we were staying just two minute’s walk from Fengja night market. We went there every night. The food was affordable and great. Milk teas were great too! Our favorite was dumplings and noodle soups around the local restaurants inside the market. If you are planning to visit more night markets you can check Xiangshang Market.
9. Sun Moon LakeIt is considered to be the largest body of water in Taiwan found in Nantou County. The area surrounding Sun Moon Lake is where the Thao Tribe lives, one of the aboriginal tribes in Taiwan. This lake surrounds the tiny island Lalu. It is known that the east side of the lake resembles a sun while the west resembles a moon. That is why it’s called Sun Moon Lake. Take note that swimming in Sun Moon Lake is prohibited, except during the annual 3-km race called the Swimming Carnival of Sun Moon Lake celebrated around the Mid-Autumn Festival annually. Read here how to get to Sun Moon Lake from Taipei!
More Taichung Tourist Spots And Things to do in Taichung
10. The National Museum of Natural ScienceThe National Museum of Natural Science can be a great Taichung tourist spot if you are traveling with kids. There is no entrance fee and you will get entertainment for 1-2 hours walking around.
11. Taichung Second MarketSecond Market in Taichung is great place to visit for lunch as we did. It’s close to city center. It’s perfect for local food and you will find affordable prices. If you go on a budget you can’t miss this Taichung tourist spot.
12. Miyahara Ice CreamMiyahara Ice Cream is located close to Taichung Station. You can choose ice cream of many different flavors. You can expect a long queue. You can also have lunch and dinner in the restaurant which is so beautiful and very instagrammable.
13. Explore Animation LaneIf you are looking for a colorful place to take pictures. It can be an alternative to Rainbow Village as Taichung tourist spots. It’s close to Taichung Train Station.
14. The 921 Earthquake Museum of Taiwan921 Earthquake Museum of Taiwan is far south of town that requires a 30 minute bus ride. But it’s totally worth it to visit. The museum is integrated into the damaged remains of a school building that suffered irreparable damages from the 1999 earthquake in Taiwan.
15. Visit Temples in TaichungThere are many temples to visit in Taichung. It’s good to learn about their religion mostly Taoism in Taiwan. There are a few God of Literature Temple, Nantian Temple, God Of War, Baojue Temple and The Happy Buddha. Let us know if we are missing one of your favorite temples in Taichung.
16. Dakeng Hot SpringIf you want to breath fresh air from the heat of Taichung. Make sure you drive 40 minutes to visit the Hot Springs in Taichung. They are quite popular in Taiwan. It would be great if you avoid the weekend to enjoy a relax atmosphere during the weekdays.
17. Zhongshe Flower MarketIt takes 40 minutes to get to Zhongshe Flower market by taxi and it costs around 700 TWD. You can also go by train to Taiwan Station and a little walk from there. There is an entrance fee 120 TWD. It’s better if you visit during weekdays and avoid the weekends. If you are looking for nice and colorful pictures is one of the list of Taichung tourist spots that you will enjoy.
18. ShenJi 368 New VillageShenJi 368 New Village is an interesting place to walk around and take pictures. There are many shops, handicrafts and even coffee shops. It will take you around one hour to go around. To get there from Taichung Railway Station you can take the bus 11, 89, 71 to Hsiang Junior High School.
19. Totoro Bus StopThe place is two kilometers far away from Taichung Train Station. It’s so popular for tourists and you can even find the location in google maps, click here!
WHERE TO STAY IN TAICHUNG CITYWe stayed at La Vida in Taichung City. It’s close to Fengjia night market and close to the bus terminal coming from Tainan and Taipei. The location is so convenient! You can also get a bus going to Rainbow Village and Taichung city center just a few meters walking distance from La Vida Hotel. About La Vida Hotel in Taichung City was the perfect place to stay for us. You can enjoy high speed connection and coffee and snacks 24 hours. It was perfect for catching up with work. Plus a green area for relaxing with your coffee and snacks too. We loved it our bathtub with TV, how modern was everything in the room in a minimalist atmosphere. The breakfast was great with Chinese and Western options. The staff was super friendly and facilities were great that’s why is ranking as one of the highest in Booking.com in Taichung City. Click here to check prices and availability! Hope you like our Taichung Travel Guide! Which one of the list of 19 Taichung tourist spots and things to do in Taichung is your favorite? Let us know in the comments below. Feel free to use our links for discounts. Using our links you will help us to continue with the maintenance of the website and it will not cost you anything. Thanks for the love guys. Happy Travels!
About the Author: Ruben, co-founder of Gamintraveler.com since 2014, is a seasoned traveler from Spain who has explored over 100 countries since 2009. Known for his extensive travel adventures across South America, Europe, the US, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, and Africa, Ruben combines his passion for adventurous yet sustainable living with his love for cycling, highlighted by his remarkable 5-month bicycle journey from Spain to Norway. He currently resides in Spain, where he continues to share his travel experiences alongside his partner, Rachel, and their son, Han.