Last updated on September 23rd, 2023 at 09:26 pm
Looking for the most comprehensive guide on the best eSIM for Ireland?
You came to the right guide!
Don’t have time to finish the guide. We recommend Holafly Ireland eSIM in Ireland if you need unlimited data while Maya Mobile for the cheapest eSIM.
Ireland, known for its breathtaking landscapes, rich cultural heritage, and vibrant urban life, attracts countless travelers each year. Whether your itinerary includes exploring the lush Irish countryside or immersing yourself in Dublin’s dynamic nightlife, staying connected is paramount.
In this digital age, eSIMs offer a convenient and efficient solution for continuous internet access.
Best Option: Maya Mobile Unlimited Data for 30 Days for $49 USD
An eSIM, short for Embedded SIM, is a digital SIM that lets you activate a cellular plan without needing a physical SIM card. This feature is especially handy for travelers who wish to use a local data plan while keeping their home number.
This guide will present the top eSIM options for your Irish adventure.
Related Travel Guides for Ireland Travel
- Irish food
- Best restaurants in Dublin
- Most instagrammable places in Dublin
- Dublin airport to city center
- Things to know before visiting Ireland
What Really is an eSIM?
An eSIM, or embedded SIM, is a SIM card built into your device, whether it’s a smartphone, tablet, or smartwatch. It performs the same functions as a traditional physical SIM card, connecting your device to a mobile network and allowing you to make calls, send texts, and use data services.
The term “embedded” comes from the fact that the SIM card is integrated into your device’s hardware, and there’s no need to insert or remove it. This newer form of SIM card technology offers a range of advantages over traditional SIM cards, including the ability to switch between carriers and plans without swapping out physical cards.
Rather than receiving a physical card that you insert into your device, with an eSIM, you receive a QR code or a number that you use to activate your eSIM profile. This profile contains the information necessary for your device to connect to a mobile network.
One of the key advantages of eSIM technology is its flexibility. With an eSIM, you can switch between carriers or plans without having to physically change SIM cards. You can also have multiple eSIM profiles on a single device, making it easier to switch between personal and business numbers, or domestic and international plans.
While eSIMs are relatively new, they’re rapidly being adopted by carriers and device manufacturers worldwide. Major smartphone manufacturers, including Apple, Samsung, and Google, have started integrating eSIMs into their latest devices. More and more mobile network operators around the world are also beginning to offer eSIM plans.
However, it’s important to note that not all devices support eSIM technology, so you’ll need to ensure your device is compatible before purchasing an eSIM plan.
What To Know Before Buying An eSIM
Before deciding to buy an eSIM, there are a few crucial points you should be aware of.
- Device Compatibility: Not all smartphones, tablets, or smartwatches currently support eSIM technology. It’s crucial to ensure your device is eSIM-compatible before purchasing an eSIMplan.
- Network Coverage: As eSIM technology is relatively new, some network providers may not yet support it. Before purchasing, research the areas you will be traveling to and ensure they have coverage for the eSIM provider you’re considering.
- eSIM Management: Unlike physical SIM cards that can be physically swapped in and out of devices, managing eSIMs involves scanning a QR code, downloading a profile, and managing these within your device settings. It’s a different way of managing your mobile connection that requires a bit of getting used to.
- Multiple eSIMs: One of the main benefits of eSIM technology is the ability to have multiple eSIMs installed on a device at one time (device permitting). However, only one cellular plan can be used at a time, so you’ll need to switch between them within your device settings.
- Data Only: Some eSIMs are data-only and do not support voice calls and SMS. Make sure to confirm this before purchasing if you require these features.
Compatibility with eSIM requires both a device and a network that supports this technology.
Most newer versions of smartphones from Apple (iPhone XR and later), Google (Pixel 3 and later), and Samsung (S20 and later) support eSIMs. Other manufacturers, such as Huawei and Motorola, are also beginning to offer eSIM functionality in some of their devices.
On the network side, support for eSIM is growing rapidly. In Ireland, for example, all major network providers now support eSIM technology, although the breadth of coverage can vary.
It’s also worth noting that if your device isn’t currently eSIM-compatible, you may still be able to use an eSIM through the use of an eSIM-enabled smart device, such as certain versions of the Apple Watch.
eSIM vs. SIM Cards
eSIMs and SIM cards essentially serve the same purpose: they allow your device to connect to a mobile network. However, there are some significant differences:
- Physical vs. Digital: The most obvious difference is that a SIM card is a physical object that must be inserted into your phone, whereas an eSIM is a digital profile that can be downloaded to your device.
- Switching Providers: With a SIM card, switching providers involves getting a new card. With an eSIM, it’s a matter of downloading a new profile.
- Travel: Traveling with an eSIM can be more convenient because you can download a new profile for a local provider without needing to obtain a physical SIM card.
- Space-Saving: eSIMs also save space in your device. This isn’t a huge benefit for users, but it can help manufacturers make devices smaller and potentially include other features.
- Multiple Lines: One of the most significant benefits of eSIM technology is the ability to have multiple cellular plans installed on one device, something not possible with traditional SIM cards.
The choice between using an eSIM or a traditional SIM card will depend largely on your device compatibility, the coverage of your chosen provider, and your personal preferences regarding the management of your mobile connection. Both have their pros and cons, but eSIMs, in particular, are rapidly evolving and becoming more widely supported.
eSIM Providers in Ireland – Best eSIM for Ireland Compared
Here are the top eSIM providers for your trip to Ireland:
Airalo is a global frontrunner in the eSIM industry, providing impressive packages for Ireland. With Airalo, you can easily purchase an eSIM data plan tailored to your needs and budget. Their plans cater to both light and heavy data users.
Airalo Ireland eSim is a good alternative to have internet in Ireland but you won’t be having unlimited internet service with them. Plans with Airalo eSim Ireland prepaid start at $9 USD with 3 GB data, for $13 USD with 5 GB data valid for 30 days. For $22.50 USD with 10 GB data valid for 30 days.
The cheapest eSim in Ireland with Airalo is $5 USD with 1 GB data valid for 7 days (USING DISCOUNT CODE GAMINTRAVELER 10%).
- Pros: Wide range of data allowances, user-friendly interface, affordable plans.
- Cons: No voice or text options, reliant on data for communication.
- Price: Plans start at $3 for 1GB of data, valid for 7 days.
- Activation: Purchase your preferred plan, receive a QR code via email, then scan the QR code on your device to activate the eSIM.
Holafly is an excellent option for travelers looking for comprehensive eSIM packages. Their Ireland eSIM includes data, voice, and SMS, ensuring you stay connected on all fronts.
Holafly Ireland eSim is our favorite since we are always looking for unlimited data options or huge data packages. Holafly Ireland eSim for less than $65 USD if you use our code GAMINTRAVELER you will have unlimited internet for 30 days in Ireland for just $2 USD per day.
The data plans with Holafly eSim Ireland start at $19 USD for 5 days for unlimited data. If you choose 10 days unlimited data $34 USD, for $47 USD 15 days unlimited data and $69 USD unlimited data for 30 days all of them with unlimited data.
- Pros: Comprehensive services including data, voice, and SMS; 24/7 customer service.
- Cons: Limited data packages, slightly more expensive than other options.
- Price: Prices start at $29 for 5GB of data, with validity varying based on the plan.
- Activation: After purchase, you will receive a QR code via email. Simply scan this code with your device to activate the eSIM.
3. Maya Mobile
Maya Mobile, while a relatively new player in the eSIM market, provides reliable and efficient service. Their Ireland eSIM comes with a substantial data allowance, ensuring you stay connected throughout your visit.
See the plan prices below:
- 1 GB for 30 days for $5 USD
- 3 GB for 30 days for $9 USD
- 5 GB for 30 days for $14 USD
- 10 GB for 30 days for $24 USD
- Europe Unlimited Data for 30 Days for $49 USD
- Pros: Large data allowance, reliable network.
- Cons: Limited customer support, no voice and SMS options.
- Price: A plan with 12GB of data costs approximately $30 and lasts for 30 days.
- Activation: Scan the QR code received after purchase with your device to activate the eSIM.
eSIM Alternatives in Ireland – Best eSIM for Ireland
eSIM.net is another trusted eSIM service provider. Their Pay-As-You-Go eSIM for Ireland allows you to control your expenses and avoid unexpected charges. eSIM.net’s eSIM is compatible with a broad array of devices, including iPhones, iPads, and select Android devices.
- Pros: Pay-as-you-go option, wide device compatibility, voice and text services included.
- Cons: No unlimited data plans, prices can be higher for heavier data users.
- Price: Rates start at $10 for 1GB of data, with voice and text services charged separately.
- Activation: After purchasing, you’ll get a QR code. Scan this code on your phone to activate the eSIM.
OneSimCard offers an international eSIM option that covers Ireland. Their service includes voice calls, text messages, and data to ensure comprehensive connectivity during your trip.
- Pros: Offers voice, text, and data services, competitive rates.
- Cons: Data speeds may vary, limited customer service.
- Price: Their Ireland plan costs around $15 for 1GB of data with unlimited incoming calls and SMS.
- Activation: Once you’ve purchased the eSIM, scan the provided QR code on your device to activate it.
Truphone is another provider worth considering when looking for an eSIM for Ireland. Their variety of plans cater to different user needs, ensuring continuous connectivity throughout your Irish journey.
- Pros: Variety of plans, excellent network coverage.
- Cons: Limited customer support, no unlimited data options.
- Price: Plans start at $15 for 3GB of data, valid for 30 days.
- Activation: Scan the QR code provided after purchasing to activate the eSIM on your device.
Final Thoughts – Choosing the Right eSIM for Your Needs
Deciding on the best eSIM provider for your trip to Ireland depends on your individual needs and preferences. Factors to consider include the amount of data you require, the length of your trip, your budget, and whether you need voice and SMS services.
In terms of pricing and data allowance, Airalo, eSIM.net, and Truphone offer attractive plans. However, if you prefer an eSIM that includes voice and SMS services, Holafly and OneSimCard could be more suitable choices. On the other hand, if a large data allowance is a priority for you, Maya Mobile could be the ideal choice.
For us, we recommend Holafly Ireland eSIM in Ireland if you need unlimited data while Maya Mobile for the cheapest eSIM.
eSIMs provide a convenient, efficient, and affordable solution for staying connected while traveling. They eliminate the need to physically swap SIM cards, providing seamless connectivity as you travel.
Whether you’re visiting the Cliffs of Moher, touring the Guinness Storehouse, or exploring Dublin Castle, staying connected with an eSIM allows you to share your experiences in real time, navigate new cities, and stay in touch with loved ones back home. Make sure to explore the various options available and choose the one that best fits your needs.
Whichever provider you choose, remember to ensure your device is compatible with eSIM technology before your trip to avoid any potential hiccups. Safe travels!