Last updated on December 2nd, 2018 at 10:42 pm
I bet you’re feeling hungry and are just dyingto know where to eat in Cagayan de Oro City. Don’t worry, we’ll give you a quick tour of the best places to eat in the city hoping that you’ll satisfy you’re cravings by giving them a visit. Cagayan de Oro is truly one of the fastest growing cities in the country. It is definitely not just a place of outdoor adventure but also of great places to dine! They may vary from very affordable prices to quite expensive establishments, but most of these places are definitely Instagram worthy!
People from neighboring provinces and even tourists make an effort to travel and visit the best restaurants in Cagayan de Oro. Prepare to witness its diverse environment and different attractions the city has to offer. It is dubbed as the ‘Gateway to Mindanao‘ mainly because Cagayan de Oro is one of the most highly urbanized cities in the country. While it may have been one of the country’s main economic hubs, it is still surrounded by the beauty of nature which makes the city so honestly beautiful.
In this article, we’ll give you a guide on where to eat in Cagayan de Oro! Along with different businesses emerging in Cagayan de Oro, comes a wide variety of places to visit with your family, friends and even your significant other. If you’re planning to visit the city, then you’re in luck! In this article, we will share with you the places where you can do work, hang out and try Cagayan de Oro food specialties! Hopefully, you’ll meet a few Kagay-anons in Cagayan de Oro restaurants to dine and spend a great time; they don’t call it “The City of Golden Friendship” without making a friend or two during your stay.
But before that, let’s check out when’s the best time to go there and how to get to Cagayan de Oro, Philippines. You can also read here to learn more about where to sleep in Cagayan de Oro andthe best tourist sposts in Cagayan de Oro.
Read here if it´s your first time visiting the Philippines.
How to get to Cagayan de Oro
The easiest way to get to Cagayan de Oro is definitely by plane. You can purchase cheaper flights online from Cebu, Iloilo and Manila. If you decide to book usually 2-3 months before your planned date of visit, go ahead and check out Cebu Pacific. Make sure to do your own research on the many places where you can stay in Cagayan de Oro. There are a number of hotels and inns around city that are just a few minutes walking distance to malls and other places to hang out.
Book your bus/boat tickets online with 12Go Asia.
Best time to visit Cagayan de Oro
If you’re planning a trip to Cagayan de Oro, keep in mind that the Philippines has 2 seasons to plan your trip around. The summer months of March to June is the best time to visit Cagayan de Oro for those who want to explore the many restaurants and tourist attractions here. Just remember to put on sunscreen and to bring a bottle of water wherever you go. Stay cool!
Daily budget for dinner and lunch in Cagayan de Oro
There are many local restaurants in Cagayan de Oro that offer hearty and delicious meals for around 100-120 PHP. If you want to have a sorta fancy dinner for two, 500-800 PHP will get you far in Cagayan de Oro. Much like any province in the Philippines, street food here is very cheap. You can get a variety of local delicacies for under a dollar!
In this list, we will showcase different restaurants and food joints of varying locations, cuisine and prices. Enjoy the list and let us know what you think about them in the comments section! Have fun! You can find accommodation in Cagayan de Oro starting from 1000-2000 PHP, Airbnb and a few hotels starting from that price.
Best Restaurants in Cagayan de Oro
Here are some of the places where you can get the best eats in Cagayan de Oro:
*in no particular order.
1. Ayala Centrio Mall
The mall is definitely one of the most visited places for those who’d like to shop around and explore food choices. At Ayala Centrio Mall, there are quite a lot of restaurants, from Western cuisines to Filipino dishes. Below are some of the restaurants we recommend if you’re into trying something new.
- Panagatan – This restaurant serves seafood mainly so it’s the perfect place to try out many Filipino seafood dishes. It is usually packed so better book early if you wish to dine and bringing a lot of people. The price is quite affordable for a family restaurant, service is great as well. It’s definitely a must-try! You can also visit other branch they have at SM Downtown Premier and Opol, a branch located by the sea.
- Bigby’s Cafe and Restaurant – This is one of the most popular restaurants in the city! I recommend trying out their Belly Buster, it is definitely a mouthful! Meals can be pricey but they also have a several delicious and affordable meals. They are honestly worth it if you want to leave the place with a belly full of yummy-ness. Their service is fantastic and the portions are huge. The restaurant also has a nice ambiance. You can also visit other branches at SM Downtown Premier and SM Uptown.
- Mesa Filipino Moderne – A restaurant with amazing food, Mesa can be a bit expensive. This place is perfect for dining with a bunch of people just so everyone can share the food and the cost. They offer great service to guests and serve quite a big portion, depending on what dish you order.
2. SM Downtown Premier
It is a few walking distance from the previous mall mentioned, and is also one of the newly built malls in the city. There are amazing restaurants located in this establishment, most of which are located on the 5th floor of the building. A beautiful sky garden can also be found on this floor.
- Damaso – If you’re into Asian fusion cuisine, this is definitely the place to be. They serve great meals and adequately sized portions. Damaso has a very chill ambiance. It’s quite affordable and is one of the best places to be for date night.
- Hanabel’s Bakery and Cafe – Hanabel’s is one of the best cafes in the city. They not only serve cakes and frappes, but they also have pasta and other rice meals. Very affordable, they serve quite a big portion that’s sure to fill your stomachs with good food. You can also visit their main branch in Divisoria if you’re closer to that area.
3. Lifestyle District
Lifestyle District is only a few blocks away from the Ayala Centrio Mall and it is one of the most famous hang out havens for both locals and tourists. There are quite a few restaurants, karaoke bars, and places to just chill around and listen to great bands in the Lifestyle District. It’s definitely a great place to spend date night at or to just party with friends!
- JUNNO Deli Cafe – If you need a drink and some good food, visit JUNNO. Be sure to come in early if you want to find a good seat or if you’re bringing a few people to hang out with.
- Forth and Tay – This is the place to be if you want a chill wine and dine night with your significant other or with friends. With great service and great great food, Forth and Tay is equally perfect for great people to spend the night with.
- CLARK and NIKKS – If you’re around the area and are craving for delicious chicken wings, definitely head on to this place to satisfy your appetite.
- Embers Grillery – For lovers of Korean cuisine, this fabulous joint offers unlimited Samgyeopsal all day, every day for only 299PHP! They also serve other rice meals and booze, as well.
4. Cagayan Town Center
Just a few minutes from Ayala Centrio Mall is another great commercial that offers a wide variety of restaurants and places to chill at. If you’re not just planning to dine, they also have barber shops and a wellness spa if you need to pamper yourself.
- Espressini Cafe – Hands down one of the most Instagram-able cafes around is Espressini Cafe, the place that has an amazing menu of delicious rice meals and sweets to satisfy your cravings! The staff is very friendly and accommodating. If you need a place to chill with your pals or just grab a cup of coffee, this place is definitely worth the visit.
- Sky Bar – Looking to unwind, relax and be entertained? Sky Bar is a rooftop joint where you can hang out with friends at night. The bar opens at 6 PM and can be enjoyed through the night.
5. Center Point Arcade
Located at Domingo Velez Street is Center Point Arcade, a great place to dine and drink if you prefer less crowded restos and bars.
- Chix n’ Booze – This super cool joint is famous for their unlimited chicken wings at only 199PHP! What a steal! You’ll definitely leave the place full and happy with this heavenly promo. Booze and chicken wings, well, isn’t that just a delightful combination?
6. Coffee Quarters
You know what’s a great place to work and grab a cup of coffee from? Coffee Quarters! This cafe is more than just your ordinary coffee shop. The second floor, The New Office Co-Working Space, is a home to many professional nomads looking for a place to quietly work in. It has stunning exteriors and interiors and serve excellent coffee. Be sure to visit the place for their offer great promos and discounts from time to time. Great place, great coffee, great staff!
Cagayan de Oro will never be Cagayan de Oro without its ever-so-famous milk tea shop, Chingkeetea. They have branches in Grand Central, Pabayo Street and at Velez corner Gaerlan Street, proving just how popular this joint is. Many residents (and even tourists) flock to this place just to get a taste of their milk tea and snap a photo of their amazing decors and art! Chingkeetea has branded itself for being the best place to get your milk tea fix and chill out without spending too much. They also serve ramen if you’re craving for it and all their branches have amazing ambiance and wonderful service.
8. Sweet Leaf Bubble Tea Cafe
Sweet Leaf Bubble Tea Cafe is another great place to get your milk tea fix from. This cafe is a favorite hangout of many because of its cozy and relaxing interiors. Also a great place to quietly work in, students frequently visit the shop since it is near a university. It is located in Pabayo Street and they also have another branch in Lifestyle District.
9. The Studio Art Cafe
The newest and and one of the most Instragram-able cafes in the area is The Studio Art Cafe. It is located at the 3rd floor of Marcoso Building along Corrales Avenue. The place has amazing interiors and of course, delicious flavors of milk tea, fruit teas, iced coffee and other cold beverages.They also serve ramen, pasta, and pancakes for very affordable prices. Check them out!
10. The Backyard Grill
Located in Casa Azucena at Pabayo Street is The Backyard Grill, one of the best places to dine and hang out in. It is frequented by many students because of its proximity to the university and all their crazy shakes! Aside from shakes, they offer a whole range of great food and drinks so you should definitely come by.
11. Redtail Shrimps and More
If you’re craving for a great seafood meal, Redtail has got it all for you! They have branches at Papa Juanito’s Square near Limketkai Center and in Casa Azzurri at Velez Street. It’s quite affordable for a seafood joint and its definitely worth the visit.
12. Sentro 1850
Just across Redtail is this amazing restaurant, Sentro 1850, a fusion restaurant for Asian, Philippine and other foreign cuisines. The restaurant offers huge portions of almost every meal. The restaurant’s vibe is also pretty cool and the staff is great as well. Sentro 1850 offers unique dishes that will guarantee a good time to all its guests.
13. Dave’s Beanery Cafe
This cozy cafe is just located at the corner of the Kauswagan Highway and can be easily seen when passing by Savemore Kauswagan. Dave’s Beanery Cafe is also a great place to work, dine and relax. The cafe serves scrumptious cakes, shakes and even rice meals at very affordable prices. This is definitely one of our favorite places to chill at.
We have a number of Korean cafes and restaurants in the city that offer great meals for affordable prices.
- Rice Burger Cafe – This is a Korean place where you don’t have to spend a lot to get your belly full and happy. They offer food such tteokppoki, rapokki, and their famous rice burger that costs less than 100 PHP. The cafe is located at Tiano Brothers Street beside PBCOM bank.
- SAM GUI K-style Grill House – This is yet another affordable Korean resto to dine in for dates or friendly hangouts and is located at Corrales Ave.
- Kalbeeya – This restaurant is a great place to start if you plan on having an authentic Korean meal. The food is delicious yet affordable and the service is great as well. You should definitely come early because many people grab dinner here. You can visit the place at Tomas Saco Street.
- Silver Rain – This place is quite far from the city, along Masterson Avenue right near Xavier Estates Main Gate. You’ll definitely get to feel like you’re in Korea because of the restaurants interiors, ambiance and staff.
Book your bus/boat tickets online with 12Go Asia.
Last but certainly not the least! You should never miss out on some of the great places to eat street food from.
- Balut Corner – This is the perfect place for foreigners who want to challenge themselves by trying out balut. It is located at Jose Calo Agudo Road, inside Metz Arcade beside South Vapor. It is quite near to Ayala Centrio Mall.
- Blumentritt Streetfoods – You can order a wide variety of street food and booze to go along with it at Blumentritt Streetfoods. This awesome joint is located at Nacalaban Street.
- TK Chicken Proven – A popular street food, proven, can be found near Pilgrim Christian College. They also serve siomai and drinks here.
These are some of the best places to eat in Cagayan de Oro. These places offer a wide variety of dishes and lots of fun for everyone. So, if you’re planning to visit Cagayan de Oro, you might as well check out some of the places mentioned here and start your own food trip! We hope that this article helps. Have a great time tasting Cagayan de Oro!
After trying the best restaurants in Cagayan de Oro, you can read our guide to Samal Island in Mindanao. You can also read about our experience in Kawasan Falls and how we went hiking on Taal Volcano.